Thursday, October 14, 2010


Teaching Poetry
 
     Last night I went to the library and checked out a few childhood favorites one of them, Where the Sidewalk Ends. I began as soon as we got home to read a poem from inside the book to my three ninos. Captain Hook was the poem and it was explaining how terrible to be him, they laughed so hard and sometimes fought over who gets to read the next one. Now that today is here, that is our plan writing poetry and castle building and learning about knights, and Surah At-Tin (the Fig).
 
     Thursday is a hands-on day, less worksheets, more arts and sciences. Poetry is an art of organization among beauty, can I really teach it? I guess at least on a 2nd grade level, and with help of some ideas from funny poems like Captain Hook, it will be at least fun.
 
 
   Captain Hook
 
Captain Hook must remember 
Not to scratch his toes.
Captain Hook must watch out
And never pick his nose.
Captain Hook must be gentle
When he shakes your hand. 
Captain Hook must be careful
Openin' sardine cans
And playing tag and pouring tea
And turning pages of his book.
Lots of folks I'm glad I ain't -
but mostly Captain Hook!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment